Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I'm still here...but barely!!

Hello all!  I am so sorry that I am just now updating you on my first big week in DC!  The internet at my apartment was down for the past few days and it just came back up.  Thank goodness!  I have felt lost without it!

So, my first week in DC has been...well...honestly...TOUGH.  REALLY TOUGH to be perfectly honest.  Homesickness hit pretty hard my first day here and unfortunately it hasn't disappeared completely.  When I realized that I really did move to DC and am no longer within driving distance of my friends and family it hit me like a ton of bricks.  If any of you have ever been truly homesick, you know what I'm talking about.  It is the worst!  I've probably cried enough tears to fill up the Potomac River!  My face has looked very similar to this little gal's over the past several days (Miss Sarah Alabama Coxwell):

On top of the homesickness, things haven't gone as smoothly as I had hoped with my new job and school.  The family that I am nannying for is great.  They have been so kind and welcoming and their girls are precious.  Unfortunately, the transition from working in an office setting to being a full time nanny has been much more difficult than I expected.  It may sound like a piece of cake, but taking care of children all day is pretty exhausting!  I'm sure you mother's out there reading this can relate very easily!  It has also made me miss my former co-workers at JSPB tremendously. I was so homesick and upset my first day at work last week and it was tough not having my "second family" around to get me through the day. How many of you out there have cried because you wished your old boss was there to pat you on the back and tell you everything is going to be ok? ;-)  Things have gotten better this week and the girls and I are starting to get more comfortable with each other. They start school next week (they will go for a half day in the mornings) and I think that will really help us get a good routine established.  It's been raining here every day this week, so we've spent ALOT of time inside. Again, you mother's out there know that this can be tough!  Aside from all the first week blips on the radar, I really am very thankful to have such a good job and I think I will definitely look back a few months from now and laugh at how upset I was in the beginning!

Now, I'm sure you're wondering if I'm making all A's in my classes and literally blowing Georgetown U away with my brilliance. ;-)  When I was accepted into the program I registered for three classes, which counts as nine hours of credit.  Most people take two classes at the most, but I wanted to quality for the student health insurance and you had to take nine hours in order to do so.  Let's just say that after hitting a few bumps in the road I went to the dean's office today and was advised to definitely drop down to six hours!  I think that will make a huge difference in all the pressure and stress I've felt since I've been here.  I guess I'm learning the hard way what the consequences of trying to overdo it can be.  Don't you just love those fun life lessons like that? 

On a much, much lighter note, I've met so many nice and fun people since I've been here!  And all of them (except for those in my classes) are from the South!  I had such a fun weekend meeting new people and they were all so encouraging and welcoming.  I am looking forward to another fun weekend of meeting more people....after I've spent some time in the library of course! ;-)

Well, this little mouse is tired and ready to hit the hay.  I hope all of you are doing great and I definitely be back sooner next time now that things are starting to fall into place here in the big city.

Sweet dreams!
 

1 comment:

  1. The only thing you haven't done is jump and down with your fingers in your ears !! LOL

    You're going to be fine. As Judy Lathram always said,"Remember who you are."

    Oh, and by the way, there is no "h" in Sara's name. No "h" in Sara Williams' name either, so Sammy wanted us to be accurate. ;-))

    ReplyDelete