Friday, September 11, 2009

Sometimes you just need a hug

Have you ever thought about just how much a hug can help when you're having a bad day?  Needless to say, the past two weeks have been just a tad stressful for me and I've been in serious need of a hug!  Well, the two precious little girls that I am nannying for (Gretchen (5) and Lucy (3)) have definitely provided me with all of the hug medicine anybody could need in the last few days!  Every morning this week I walked in the door to work and the girls hugged me like they hadn't seen me in years. It really feels good to know that you're needed too, doesn't it?  :-)

The girls and I had a big day yesterday (Thursday).  I took them to the park, out to lunch and to the bookstore where they each got to pick out a book.  They were in heaven!  Lucy ordered spaghetti at lunch.  At first I almost didn't let her because I knew what a disastrous mess it would make, but I couldn't resist the excitement on her face when I told her spaghetti was on the child's menu.  Naturally she wanted to feed herself without any help from me.  And naturally, she ended up with spaghetti all over her hands, arms and face.  I looked at her when she finished and couldn't help but laugh at the way she was covered in spaghetti sauce.  The sweetheart looked at me with the biggest smile, stretched out her little arms and started to lean forward to give me a hug.  I yelped "No Lucy!  You'll get spaghetti sauce all over me!"  Well folks, you would have thought the poor thing had lost her best friend.  Her eyes teared up and her bottom lip started quivering...it was so sad!  I laughed and told her that I would love nothing more than a hug, but that I didn't need to have spaghetti sauce stains all over my shirt.  She understood, but as soon as I got her all cleaned up she gave me that big ol' hug!  It really made my heart melt. 

So, if you're having a bad day or just feeling blah, tell somebody to give you a hug! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment