Friday, October 16, 2009

The country mouse meets the city mouse

Hello blog friends!  I hope you are all doing well!  It is rainy and COLD here in the nation's capitol.  I have to admit that I enjoy a few rainy, chilly days.  I'm a sucker for snuggling up on the couch with a cup of hot tea, a good book or a good movie.  This is a drastic climate change from the hot, humid conditions I experienced during my visit home.  The minute I stepped outside the Birmingham airport I could barely breathe it was so humid!

I had a wonderful time visiting my family and friends, despite the fact that I spent the majority of my time working on a midterm paper for school. :-(  It was actually nice to shut myself up in the cozy study at my parent's house and not have any distractions (i.e. DC nightlife!).  Plus, I had two fabulous proofreaders on hand...my parents!  The paper was turned in yesterday and I am keeping my fingers crossed for a good grade!

So...let's talk about the title of my blog post.  This afternoon the girls were downstairs playing in basement and I decided to walk down to make sure they were behaving themselves.  I had the little peanut with me (baby Erin) and when I got down to the bottom of the stairs I noticed something out of the corner of my eye on the floor...something dark...something dark that moved...fast.  I did a double take and didn't see anything...right away.  I waited a few more seconds and all of a sudden out came....



Now, that is a picture of a cute brown mouse, but this thing didn't look anything like the cute little field mice I've seen around our house in Monroeville (not that we have mice everywhere, but I've seen a few in my lifetime).  It was dark and fat and could easily have been a small rat.  I'm still surprised I didn't drop the baby and run for dear life.  I just stood there and watched the little invader dart across the room behind another piece of furniture.  The girls were on the opposite side of the basement, so they had no clue that one of Mickey Mouse's cousins had decided to pay them a visit.  Thankfully, their dad had just come home and I calmly walked upstairs and informed him of the situation.  Of course super nanny forgot to tell the girls to haul fanny upstairs before she went up to grab dad to come to rescue.  So, we ran downstairs (peanut still in my arms and fast asleep) and I told the girls to run upstairs as fast as they could.  I scared the poor things to death and all they could say was "Why?!  Why?!  What did we do?!"  Gretchen jumped up and started running and she hadn't made it three steps when our furry friend darted right out in front of her!  Thankfully, she was too focused on me to look down and she scaled right over it! 

Everybody managed to get upstairs and of course Gretchen and Lucy were begging me to tell them what was wrong.  I tried to avoid telling them the whole truth (them being terrified to ever go in their playroom again would NOT be a good thing!), but they kept on asking and I just told them a little mouse had come in the house by accident and that we were going to find it and put him back outside where he belonged.  Put him back outside??  Yeah, right!  Mr. Mouse (or Rat) will hopefully succumb to one of the four traps that are now waiting for him in the basement!  I hate to wish death on an animal, but either the city mouse/rat bites the dust or we are banished from the playroom until he does.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he will be dust before I get to work on Monday!

OK, now that I keep looking out of the corners of my eyes for unexpected furry visitors, I think I'll head to sleepytown! 

No comments:

Post a Comment